Thursday, March 29, 2007

Minus 32!

This morning brought our lowest temperature so far - minus 32C.

Richard, James and I started the day by digging a tonne of snow down the narrow shaft into the melt tank which provides all our water. Digging is done by rota. A month has flown by since I was last on and I wonder how much colder it will be when I'm on next.



One tonne of snow, down the hole must go


All that digging soon warmed me up, so I headed straight out to the CASLab to check the instruments I'm looking after while Neil's on his winter trip. CAS means Clean Air Sector - an exclusion zone of about 1km, up wind of the base, allowing studies of air/snow chemical interaction to be made. Never a great fan of chemistry, it's interesting seeing it in action.


The CASLab in action

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For Evans fans in Wales, you can see Dave on Wales Tonight, 18:00 BST / 17:00 UTC on ITV1 Wales on Tuesday 3 April 2007.

9:04 pm GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home